Here are 13 science-backed tips to stop mindless eating.
1. Use visual reminders of the foods and drinks you consume to help you stay mindful of how much you’ve already consumed.
2. Favoring smaller packages can help you reduce the number of calories you consume by up to 25% without even noticing.
3. Replacing large plates with smaller ones and wide, short glasses with tall, thin ones are two easy ways to reduce your portion sizes and limit the effects of mindless eating.
4. Reducing the variety of food flavors, colors, and textures you’re exposed to will help prevent you from eating more junk food than your body needs.
5. Keep tempting treats out of sight to prevent you from eating them mindlessly. On the other hand, keep healthy foods visible if hunger strikes.
6. Take the convenience out of eating. Adding extra steps will allow you to turn a mindless eating behavior into a conscious choice, reducing the chance of overindulgence.