Here are 9 evidence-based benefits of beets, plus some tasty ways to increase your intake.
1. Beets are loaded with vitamins and minerals yet low in calories and fat. They’re also a good source of several key nutrients, including folate, manganese, and copper.
2. Beets contain a high concentration of nitrates, which can help lower your blood pressure levels. This may lead to a reduced risk of heart disease and stroke.
3. Eating beets may enhance athletic performance by improving oxygen use and endurance. To maximize their effects, consume them 2–3 hours prior to training or competing.
4. Beets may have a number of anti-inflammatory effects, although further research in humans is needed.
5. Beets are a good source of fiber, which benefits your digestive health and reduces the risk of several chronic health conditions.
6. Beets contain nitrates, which may increase blood flow to the brain and improve cognitive function. However, more research in this area is needed.
7. Some studies show that certain compounds found in beets could have cancer-fighting properties. Still, further research is needed to better understand this potential connection.
8. Beets have are high in water, moderate in fiber and protein, and low in calories. All of these properties can balance your energy intake and improve your diet quality.
9. Beetroot is a delicious and versatile vegetable that’s easy to add to your diet. If possible, choose beets that feel heavy for their size with green tops still attached.