Here are the top 10 evidence-based health benefits of turmeric and curcumin.
1. Turmeric contains curcumin, a substance with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Most studies use turmeric extracts that are standardized to include large amounts of curcumin.
2. Chronic inflammation contributes to some common health conditions. Curcumin can suppress many molecules known to play major roles in inflammation, but its bioavailability needs to be enhanced.
3. While curcumin has antioxidant effects, more studies are needed to confirm these benefits.
4. Curcumin boosts levels of the brain hormone BDNF, which increases the growth of new neurons and may help fight various degenerative processes in your brain.
5. Curcumin has beneficial effects on several factors known to play a role in heart disease. Plus, it’s an anti-inflammatory agent and antioxidant.
6. Curcumin leads to several changes on the molecular level that may help prevent and perhaps even treat cancer.
7. Curcumin can cross the blood-brain barrier and has been shown to lead to various improvements in the pathological process of Alzheimer’s disease.
8. Arthritis is a common disorder characterized by joint inflammation. Many studies show that curcumin can help treat symptoms of arthritis.
9. A study in 60 people with depression showed that curcumin was as effective as Prozac in alleviating symptoms of the condition.
10. Due to its many positive health effects, such as the potential to prevent heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and cancer, curcumin may aid longevity.