Here are the top 12 biggest lies, myths, and misconceptions about weight loss
1. Not all calorie sources have the same effects on your health and weight. For example, protein can increase metabolism, reduce appetite, and improve the function of weight-regulating hormones.
2. Losing weight can take a long time. The process is generally not linear, as your weight tends to fluctuate up and down by small amounts.
3. Most supplements for weight loss are ineffective. The best ones can help you lose a bit of weight, at most.
4. Obesity is a very complex disorder. There are many genetic, biological, and environmental factors that affect body weight. As such, losing weight is not just about willpower.
5. Telling people with weight problems to just eat less and move more is ineffective advice that rarely works in the long term.
6. Low-carb diets are very effective for weight loss. However, carbs are not what causes obesity in the first place. Whole, single-ingredient carb-based foods are incredibly healthy.
7. Fat has often been blamed for the obesity epidemic. While it contributes to your total calorie intake, fat alone does not cause weight gain.
8. While it’s true that breakfast skippers tend to weigh more than breakfast eaters, controlled studies show that whether you eat or skip breakfast doesn’t matter for weight loss.
9. Fast food does not have to be unhealthy or fattening. Most fast food chains offer some healthier alternatives to their main offerings.
10. Despite what the weight loss industry would have you believe, dieting usually doesn’t work. It’s better to change your lifestyle than to hop from diet to diet in the hope of losing weight.
11. Obesity is linked to several chronic diseases, such as type 2 diabetes. However, many people with obesity are metabolically healthy, while many thin people are not.
12. Oftentimes, products marketed as diet foods are junk foods in disguise, as they’re heavily processed and may harbor hidden ingredients.
If you’re trying to lose weight, you may have heard a lot of the same myths. You may have even believed some of them, as they’re hard to avoid in Western culture. most of these myths are false.